CANVAS pass-back to PowerSchool is now working!
Need instructions to get this working-please open a ticket.
Quizzes is now available in your assignments-you just need to enable it in your settings.
Canvas is available for all teachers and students.
Need help, please open a ticket.
Student video for students to get started on the Canvas Trainings Site.
Move/Share course content to other courses information HERE!
ThingLink website to create interactive maps/posters/unlimited items.
GoogleMyMaps create your interactive maps through your google account.
Canvas is Here!
Canvas (Learning Management System)
WHO: All Wyoming School Districts and Colleges!
WHEN: 2018-2019 school year. (Please see more details below!)
WHY: To have a consistent Learning Platform for all Wyoming Students in education K-12 and higher education.
WHAT: Online Learning System to help simplify teaching and learning by connecting all the digital tools teachers use in one easy place.
HOW: Wyoming Department of Education has adopted Canvas as the statewide Learning Management System.
WHERE: SCSD#1 will allow any classes/teachers to utilize this software in our district.
CANVAS is Live! https://sw1.instructure.com/
- Check out this website to find information about CANVAS in SCSD#1
- VIMEO is now open and accessible in CANVAS!
- Canvas live webinars offer PTSB Credit for 7 online webinars/1 hour each. Please open a ticket for more information.
- Student access availability-students have full access for any teacher who is utilizing CANVAS.
- Reliability - Canvas status is live and their up-time for the last three years is 99.8%.
- Questions - Please open a help desk ticket and we can answer any questions you might have or use the jot form below for questions.
- Availability- on all learning platforms: ipad, ipod, android devices as well as tablets and MacBooks.
- Integration - Canvas is integrated with Google Drive and you will log in through and with your district Google account.
- Canvas is integrated with Powerschool!
- Google Drawing in your Google apps can create banners, buttons and other fun things to add to canvas.
- New link in Frequently ask questions (below) about how to have a link within canvas open in a new window.
Why did the State of Wyoming choose CANVAS LMS
Six Key Points on why Wyoming chose Canvas:
1) Easy to use
2) Doesn’t hold instructors/students/administrators back (intuitive)
5) Enhances the learning experience
6) Saves time
Why Should I Use CANVAS?
Simplifies Teaching and Learning
Simply put, Canvas makes teaching and learning easier. It’s intuitive, collaborative, and you can access it anytime, anywhere, on any device.
Being easy to learn, easy to implement, and radically easy to use makes Canvas that much easier for teachers to adopt.
Canvas will allow educators to work collaboratively across the state, in buildings and share out course content, designing assessments and sharing educational resources without incurring significant costs. Courses designed by one educator will have the ability to be shared across the state to cultivate consistent, high quality teaching.
Canvas will provide an easier transition for students from K-12 to post-secondary as they will already be familiar with the technology. The ability for school districts to provide supplemental online course material and resources whether through dual-enrollment, Hathaway Success Curriculum Courses, Advanced Placement courses or others will better prepare students for college and remove some otherwise challenging roadblocks to continuing their educational studies.
Consistent Student Experience
Canvas will cultivate educational mobility and equality among Wyoming's students by providing a consistent experience throughout their entire educational career. The ease of access in using a single platform and the ability to remain in Canvas regardless of which school district or college a student is in, will provide students with additional opportunities to focus on their learning.
CANVAS in SCSD#1
Staff and Students will be able to log in through their Google account and access CANVAS.
Mobile Availability will also be available through Canvas Apps
Spring 2018: Training and Information will be given out to any faculty who is interested
Summer 2018: Beginning Access to CANVAS
Summer 2018: Summer academies and trainings available.
Fall 2018: all classes and students imported from Powerschool; Students and Teachers will have access to their CANVAS accounts.
Does SCSD#1 have to use CANVAS?
The State of Wyoming is adopting CANVAS as the statewide LMS in 2018.
SCSD#1 would like to offer teachers/classes the option of trying and utilizing this software as one of their educational tools for the 18-19 school year.
This will not take the place of any other software utilized in the district but will be an additional support piece for our teachers and students.
Faculty and Canvas
SCSD#1 is working on implementing this Learning Management System
Change is good. Change is hard. Change is never seamless. But technology can make change better, easier and smoother. That’s the story emerging about Canvas, the new educational platform
- Canvas easily connects instructors and students in a virtual classroom environment, and manages enrollments, grades, document sharing, and assignment submissions
- Canvas integrates nicely with so many of the tools used in classrooms
- Collaboration... district wide, state wide, and world wide with any district using CANVAS
- Sharing Content
- It's a powerful platform that makes it easy to engage with students
- Simple and intuitive interface
- Calendar view option
- Canvas is wonderful for stimulating discussion groups
- SpeedGrader is revolutionary
- Rubric and SpeedGrader allow for quick grading and sharing
- Canvas organizes class content onto the syllabus page
- Canvas allows for more student collaboration
- Canvas is very easy for our instructors and students to utilize
How to use CANVAS on Mobile Devices:
Students and Canvas
SCSD#1 will be integrating the Canvas with Google and Powerschool.
Students will automatically be added and their classes will be available for any faculty who choose to utilize it.
- A clean, user-friendly interface
- A dashboard page that quickly summarizes assignments, announcements and other relevant information across course sites
- Customizable notifications – students can get alerts via email, text message or social media at the frequency they desire
- A working calendar that can be added to Google Calendar, iCal or other popular calendar tools
- Support for media content
- Cloud Storage Space
Parents and Canvas
Canvas has a parent portal.
SCSD#1 will be working to add this feature in the future.
Please see available information below:
- Parents can sign up as an observer in Canvas. Observers can link their Canvas account to their student's account so they can see assignment dues dates, announcements, and other course content. Observers can view the course content but cannot participate in the course.
Webinar Course Trainings from Canvas
Set up personal account and learn as you go!
Live Webinars including: Course information, Specialized learning, Assignments, (beginner to advanced)
Guides and Checklist:
Canvas Basic Training Guides/Resources
Basic Training for anyone who wants to know what Canvas LMS is
Canvas Training Checklist
Checklists and Ideas for a successful implementation
Guides available in the canvas community answering questions you have (How do I.....)
Canvas Video Support Series
How to Videos
Canvas First Look
Pre-Recorded 1 Hour Video (Canvas in a Nutshell)
Pre-Recorded 1 Hour Video (All about Courses)
Help and Assistance
To request access to Canvas
or for Canvas Assistance
Student Help Desk
Tech Center Phone Number: